Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

We hiked in the H. Cowell Redwoods above Santa Cruz today – I’ve had enough of redwoods for a while. It gets dark down in them there hollows. I’m driving south on Thursday – I haven’t decided what I want to do next. I’m actually looking for a studio space to rent – one I can park beside, plug in and use the studio to finish working the final collection of dad’s negatives.
I got my ocean fix by driving from Santa Cruz north to San Francisco – some great beaches in that stretch of Highway 1. Jane Bailey found a RV park close to a spot they like to walk on – I had a fabulous visit with Jane and Rich while we walked. We ended our day at an Indian restaurant in the city – lovely.
Marcia and Earl Adams shared their family Thanksgiving with me. The food was great – as was the company. I really like the Santa Cruz area.
I’ve been reading Tracy Kidder’s new book about a school teacher. I could die of boredom reading this, so I’m casting about for new books. I’m looking forward to the biographies of the Medici wife and Katherine the Great.
Lucy gets off leash once a day. She finally disappears into the understory – full of thorns, rabbits, gophers, and all manner of leaves. There is no bush whacking in California. Anna is honing her skills as a tracker. I say – go – find Lucy, and eventually, she does. Sometimes it takes a half an hour or more but soon both dogs are digging away under a redwood tree. Lots of critters, not a lot of predators.
I have found more hummingbirds – lots of red-tailed hawks – I watched a kite working a field near Half Moon Bay – beautiful. When I do see a remote beach with a little herd of sandpipers they are usually sanderlings. The cliffs all have peregrines – yeay for the Peregrine Fund out of Boise! Maybe I should make finding a condor my next goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment